This is the beginning of an exciting, but bewildering time for an 8th grader. It’s the entry point into the unknown, the “high school years”. We hope these will be some of the best years of your life! This timeline gives you an idea of what to expect as you prepare for freshman year at Ashland High School. We're looking forward to your arrival!
FALL OF 8TH GRADE
- AHS Guidance Department members visit AMS for parent coffees to discuss the transition from 8th grade to high school. If you are unable to attend, please feel free to contact us with questions.
- Students are given a tour of Keefe Technical School in Framingham.
JANUARY OF 8TH GRADE
- AMS teachers make recommendations for course selections for each 8th grade student.
- AMS students are given a tour of Ashland High School during school hours.
- An 8th Grade Transition Parent Night is held at AHS in the auditorium. Watch for announcements and letters to come home with students announcing a date.
- Course Selection sheets go home with students for parental review and signature. Review the Program of Studies for course descriptions.
FEBRUARY/MARCH OF 8TH GRADE
- Scheduling for incoming freshmen begins at AHS. Placements are reviewed by counselors, teachers, AHS departments and administration.
- 8th grade teachers review grades to confirm that course recommendations made in January are current.
JUNE OF 8TH GRADE
- Freshman Orientation Night held at AHS.
- Summer reading lists are distributed to students.
SUMMER BEFORE FRESHMAN YEAR
- Do your summer reading. Don’t leave it for the last week of vacation!
- If you are planning to play a fall sport at AHS make sure you have an up-to date-physical. By the time of tryouts you must have had a physical within the past 13 months or you will not be eligible to try out.
AUGUST FRESHMAN YEAR
- Tryouts begin for fall sports. Check the Athletic Department website for dates.
- Attend Orientation. Details will be mailed home over the summer. Final schedules with Blocks will be distributed at Orientation. This orientation is a time to become familiar with where your classes are located, find your locker and get the general layout of the building.